Call Nick on

07961 070579
01943 510105.

Click here to contact us by email.


Date posted: October 22nd, 2015


Creosote is the natural by-product of burning wood, it includes tar droplets and other organic compounds. Tar droplets make up a major component of the smoke from burning wood this is why leaving a fire to slumber overnight is inadvisable. Heavy tar and creosote build up inside a chimney is putting you more at risk of a chimney fire. Tar and other vapours can condense within the interior of the appliance and it’s flue system, these deposits are usually brown/black and are called creosote.

Contributing Factors of Creosote

  • Slumbering a fire; turning all the air vents down so your fire builds up more smoke is inadvisable. In general the smokiest fires contribute to the most creosote.
  • Moisture content of fuel; not too dry or too wet, in the region of 14-20% moisture content.
  • Flue gas temperature can be affected by many factors including chimney type, size, location and construction.
  • The amount of time that smoke lingers in the chimney; the longer the time, the greater chance of creosote and tar build up.
  • To minimise the build up of creosote use dry, well seasoned wood with a suitable chimney in a suitably sized appliance for the room making sure the fuel load is correct, the air supply is met and the temperature balance does not exceed 350°C as it a my cause a chimney fire.

Reasons to remove creosote

  • Increased risk of chimney fire.
  • Creosote is acidic and corrosive and can eat into brick work and mortar lines giving you staining on the chimney breast and deterioration of the chimney itself.
  • Easier for chimney to be swept, making it less time consuming and keeps costs down.